The Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities has released the Issues Paper for the Third Review of the Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport 2002 (Transport Standards). The Transport Standards were the first standards made under the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (DDA) and commenced in October 2002. The Transport Standards were made to enable public transport operators and providers to remove discrimination from public transport services by providing specific details about the standards they need to meet.
BCA is seeking feedback on the experience of public transport for people who are blind or vision impaired, particularly over the last 5 years since the previous review of the Transport Standards in 2012.
We are holding 3 teleconferences on the review of the Transport Standards:
- Thursday 18 October 7pm – 8:30pm AEDT
- Monday 22 October 11am – 12:30pm AEDT
- Tuesday 23 October 7pm – 8:30pm AEDT
These teleconferences will be capped at 15 participants, so call us on 1800 033 660 to register your attendance. If these dates do not suit you or if you prefer, you can give feedback via email to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Transport Review Feedback” or call the office on 1800 033 660, or 03 9654 1400 to give your feedback by phone.
All feedback must be received by Friday 26th October 2018.
Please find below a briefing for BCA members that includes the relevant questions from the Government’s Issues Paper released in August 2018 as well as other materials relating to this topic.
- Briefing for BCA members – October 2018
- Government Issues Paper
- Link to Department webpage: https://infrastructure.gov.au/transport/disabilities/
- Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport
- Whole Journey Guide:
- Whole Journey Guide
- Link to Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities website: https://infrastructure.gov.au/transport/disabilities/whole-journey/index.aspx
- BCA submission to first review of Transport Standards 2007
- BCA submission to second review of Transport Standards May 2013
- BCA submission to Draft Review Report July 2014
- BCA submission to Whole Journey guide