Wednesday 15th December
Welcome to this year’s last member update!
As we draw closer to the end of another year, and in our final Member Update for 2021, the staff and board would like to take this opportunity to thank all of BCA’s members who have contributed to our work this year.
Those who volunteered their time on the National Policy Council, and other committees, our branch leaders, our Peer Connect Group Leaders, trivia hosts, New Horizons and BC News producers and editors, and everyone who provides us with feedback or attends our many events, thank you. Your input, support, ideas, and feedback makes our mission of informing, connecting, and empowering people who are blind or vision impaired possible.
Plans are already well under way for 2022 and we look forward to bringing back some old favourites, and continuing to find creative and innovative ways to engage with our members, government, and businesses.
We will be back with our member update in 2022 on the 19th January.
In this week’s CEO Update, Emma talks about the year that was, some updates from BCA’s NDIS advocacy and BCA’s Christmas Closure. Emma also mentions we are on the lookout for a new General Manager, Projects and Engagements.
You can also view the CEO Update on social media.
BCA Christmas Closure
This year, the BCA office will be closing from 5:00pm AEDT on Thursday, 23rd December and re-opening on Monday, 10th January 2022 at 9:00am AEDT. Staff will not be available during this time, and some may be taking some extra leave over the period also.
You can continue to access information through BCA’s phone system at any time.
We will return your emails and phone calls once the office reopens in January, 2022.
What’s Coming Up at BCA?
Thursday 16th December 7:30pm AEDT – Emma Bennison
This week, our Happy Hour is a special one. Tim Haggis will be interviewing BCA CEO Emma Bennison. They will be discussing her life, education, leadership, music, and anything else that comes up along the way. This will be an extended Happy Hour and will run from 7:30pm – 9:00pm AEDT.
As Emma’s time at BCA begins to draw to a close, we recommend everyone come along and hear from her during our final Happy Hour for 2021.
Saturday 18th December 8:00pm AEDT
Join us for the final Happy Hour of the year! Join host John Danesh Krishnan, as he tests your General Knowledge in this round of trivia!
To join a Happy Hour or Trivia
- Join Happy Hour or Trivia via Zoom weblink (for computers, tablets and mobiles using the Zoom app)
- Join Happy Hour or Trivia via One Touch on a smart phone.
- To join via a landline telephone, dial 03 7018 2005, then enter the Meeting ID: 889 3721 0004
- The passcode for the meeting is: 698021
We are looking for someone to become our new General Manager Projects and Engagement. This is an exciting leadership opportunity within BCA and will lead a small project team and support them to deliver their objectives.
If you or someone you know is interested you can take a look at the position description for the General Manager Projects and Engagement on our website. Please send in your expression of interest as soon as possible, as the role will start in January 2022.
Fiona Woods, newly elected president of Blind Citizens Australia, joins us to outline her background and her hopes for her time as president. As well, find out which board members will be undertaking which roles within the organisation, and the BCA office closure.
New Horizons will continue to broadcast over the Christmas and New Year period, so check out the website for information on the latest episodes.
Some things to catch up on over the break
If something in the edition sparks your interest, perhaps you may even consider submitting an article for Blind Citizens News?
Important Numbers / Email links for the Holiday Break
All the below numbers are 24 / 7 services
Health assessment, advice and referral:
- Health Direct Australia (all states other than Victoria)– 1800 022 222
- Nurse on Call Victoria (for Victorian residents only) – 1300 606 024
- Lifeline – 131 114
- Beyond Blue – 1300 224 636
COVID 19 Information – The Australian Government and each state government website has up to date information about COVID infections, restrictions, and changes to borders and vaccine requirements.
What the BCA Team Are Up To Over the Break
BCA staff are reading
All of the below recommendations are available as an audiobook.
- Thrive by Ariana Huffington
- Strange Bedfellows by Ina Park (this book is about STD’s!!) Strange Bedfellows is read by the author available on Audible.
- It Wasn’t Meant to Be Like This by Lisa Wilkinson
- Raymond Chandler 1930s detective pulp.
- All the light we cannot see by Anthony Doerr
- My Adventurous Life by Dick Smith
- The Mistborn Series by Brandon Sanderson
- Books by Judy Nunn – Australian nonfiction based on historical facts
BCA staff are watching
All of the below recommendations have audio description available
- Carols by Candlelight, with audio description provided by Vision Australia – more details below
- SBS audio described documentaries, dramas and movies, on SBS main channel, NITV, and World Movies. Scheduling information available via SBS’s website on BCA’s phone system 1800 033 660, or through Vision Australia SBS programming information.
- ABC audio described children’s programs, dramas, documentaries, news and current affairs. Scheduling information available on ABC’s website or through Vision Australia ABC programming information.
- Hamilton on Disney plus
- Coda on Apple TV
- The Witcher on Netflix
- A Sunburnt Christmas on Stan
BCA staff are drinking
- West Coast Coolers, remember them? Sweet and perfect for Summer
- Watermelon Mojito
- Vodka & lime
- Glenfiddich single malt scotch
- Skillaglee Reisling (Adelaide Hills)
- Jameson Whiskey
- Homemade double cream eggnog with a drab of brandy
- Darby Norris Distillery Citrus Explosion Gin, frozen and iced.
- Whiskey Sour
- Baileys with gingerbread flavoured milk and ice
BCA staff are hoping for
- A safer and more stable 2022, with reconnection and happiness!
- Borders to stay open and to spend time with family over Christmas and New Year.
- Sunny warm weather, 26 degrees on Christmas Day would be nice!
- A normal uneventful run of the mill 2022
- Some breathing space, some fine weather, a little camping and hanging out with people I love.
BCA staff are wishing all members
- A happy holiday, that includes time with friends and family
- A very merry and safe holiday season, with plenty of time for relaxation and rejuvenation.
- Opportunities to connect in 2022
- A 2022 where people are kind and gentle to each other
BCA staff recommend making
- Chocolate Chia Pudding
- Melting Moments (Yo-yo’s) – an awesome biscuit for the holidays
- Something sweet and fun like Eton Mess
News From Outside BCA
Don’t Miss Carols By Candlelight (with Audio description)
Join Carols by Candlelight at 8pm on 24 December broadcast live on Channel 9. You can also access audio described broadcast of the event via Vision Australia’s live stream:
- Vision Australia Radio Melbourne stream
- Vision Australia Radio Adelaide stream
- Vision Australia Radio Perth stream
Museum of Australian Democracy Exhibition
The Museum of Australian Democracy in Canberra is holding their annual exhibition of political cartoons – Behind the Lines, opening 14 December. This year, the cartoons have audio description – produced by The SubStation – which can be accessed both at the exhibition and online right now at the link below.
This link goes to the introduction page of the Museum’s exhibition. On the left is a list of links to the nine segments of the exhibition. Each page has a list of recorded descriptions with an AD transcript underneath. At the bottom of the page, a ‘Next’ button takes you to the following page of descriptions.
Research Participation Opportunity
Mary Ann Jackson is undertaking a PhD and is members to participate in fieldwork about built environment accessibility at neighbourhood scale. The fieldwork, which will be in and around the suburbs of North/West Melbourne, is timetabled to take place in the first part of next year.
If you are interested in participating in the fieldwork you can email Mary at email@example.com or call her on 0409 404 941.
Anything to Share?
Our next Member Update will be sent on Wednesday 19th January 2022. If you’ve got something you’d like included in the Member Update that is relevant after this date, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 1800 033 660.