Blind Citizens Australia membership is available to both people who are blind or vision impaired and supporters who are sighted.
** Free membership during COVID-19 ** We know that there are people seeking support from BCA for the first time due to the unprecedented impacts of the coronavirus. Given that financial pressure is an impact that many are experiencing, we are offering BCA membership for FREE during the course of the pandemic.
Why Should I Become a Member of BCA?
We are a member led organisation, which means that it is our members who decide what is important for us to work on, and it is the Board of Directors who decides on the strategic direction of the organisation. Our National Policy Council guides our policy and submissions work, and our local and special interest branches create the opportunities to connect and learn from each other, as well as working together to advocate on local issues.
Advantages of Becoming a Member:
- Lifetime membership – no renewal required
- Be part of the largest network of blind and vision impaired people in Australia
- Opportunity to learn from others and share your experiences to help other people with vision loss
- Contribute to our work by voting for your representative on the Board and the National Policy Council
- Eligibility for leadership positions on the Board, the National Policy Council, as a committee member for your local branch or a special interest branch
- Access to a variety of resources including email discussion lists, New Horizons (our radio show and podcast), Blind Citizens News (our quarterly magazine), early bird alerts to events such as National and State conventions
- Develop your self-advocacy skills and participate in local state-wide and national events
- Opportunity to contribute to the development of public policy, position statements and government inquiries and reviews that relate to people who are blind or vision impaired through regular consultation.
Types of Membership
All members pay a one off membership fee of $20. There are three categories of membership available:
- Full member: Person who is blind or vision impaired and is 18 years or older
- Junior member: Person who is blind or vision impaired and under 18 years of age
- Associate member: Person who identifies with the aims of BCA, but is not blind or vision impaired and therefore ineligible to be a Full or Junior member.
Only Full Members may stand for a position on the Board or vote within Branches or at BCA elections.
All members must be Australian citizens or permanent residents.
Upon joining BCA, members are automatically given the opportunity to participate in their local branch as well.
Members of BCA can also join the National Women’s Branch – a $10 once off fee applies (additional to the BCA membership fee). The National Women’s Branch is made up of a group of Australian women who are blind or vision impaired, whose mission is to improve the lives of blind and vision impaired women in Australia. People of all genders are welcome to join. The branch seeks to empower members by:
- Providing positive peer support
- Holding seminars of interest
- Encouraging involvement of women in all levels of BCA
- Being a resource for women on vision impairment
- Facilitating communication between our members and supporting member issues such as isolation.
Membership Application Form
To begin your application to join BCA please complete the online application form below, or download the BCA Membership Application in Word format, or contact us on 1800 033 660 and we will send you a Member Application Pack in your preferred format.
Please note that questions marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory fields that require an answer.
Payment Options for Membership
** Note: if you wish to take advantage of our free membership, please skip this payment step **
Memberships can be paid by Credit Card using the “Pay Now” button below. Please note that you do not require a PayPal account to use this method. For other payment options, please contact us on 1800 033 660.
Make sure that you SUBMIT your membership form before proceeding to the payment page. You will be directed to ‘Pay Now’ from the confirmation page.
Your membership will be completed on receipt of your payment.
Purchase “Scales Away” Cookbook
Produced by the National Women’s Branch, this cookbook uses cup and spoon measurements only, and contains a wide variety of recipes and useful information for people who are blind or vision impaired. Available on MP3 disc and thumb drive for $30, or via email for $20. Every purchase supports our National Women’s Branch.