Australia does not have an identity card. Instead, various documents may be used or required to prove your identity.

There is no consistent standard for verifying identity. For most purposes, an Australian driver’s licence or Australian proof of age card will suffice; however, for more sophisticated transactions (like applying for a passport or opening a bank account), each institution tends to have its own rules.

On this page:

Key Pass (Australia Wide)

A Keypass ID is a valid proof of age and identity card that can be used across all states in Australia. The card is accepted as proof of age for a variety of uses including entry into venues throughout Australia which display a sign saying they accept the card as proof of identity. To apply for the card, visit your local Australia Post or download the application form online at:

ID Requirements

To apply for a Keypass 18+ identity card, you must be at least 17 years and 11 months. If your application is successful, Australia Post will forward you, your card on your 18th birthday. Applicants who are under 18 years old, can apply for a Keypass under 18 (minimum age to apply for a Keypass is 15 years old and is valid until you turn 18 during this time.

For a new Key Pass, you will need to have the following combination of identity documents (keep scrolling for category descriptions):

  • 1 x Category A
  • 1 x Category B
  • 1 x Category C or Category B
  • Plus 1 x Category D (if your current residential address is not shown on one of the above documents)
  • Plus 1 x Category E (if one or more documents do not match the application name)

You will need to take the original identity documents to your Australia Post Office along with your application.


  • All documents must be current and originals unless specified otherwise. If a document is not in English, please provide a translation, this must be completed by a NAATI accredited translator
  • In most cases, you cannot choose the same document for separate categories. Exceptions are:
    • Ability to choose Immicard in Category A and Immicard in Category B
    • Ability to choose Australian Visa/International Passport (Foreign) in Category A and International Passport (Foreign) in Category B.
    • Ability to choose Australian Passport in Category A and Australian Passport in Category B

Category A documents:

  • Australian Birth Certificate (not an extract)
  • Citizenship Certificate
  • International Passport (if not in English, with a translation by a NAATI accredited translator)
  • Australian Visa
  • Australian Passport
  • Immigration Card

Category B documents:

  • Firearms License
  • Australian Learners Permit
  • Australian Driver’s Licence
  • Consular Photo Identity Card (issued by Department of Foreign Affairs)
  • Working with Children Check Card
  • International Passport (Foreign)
  • Police Force Officer Photo Identity Card
  • Australian Defence Force Photo Identity Card
  • Aviation Security Identification Card
  • Maritime Security Identification Card
  • Student Identification Card with a photo (issued by an Australian university, Australian TAFE or secondary school)
  • Proof of age card (Government issued)
  • High Risk Work Licence (issued by Australian State/Territory Worksafe or SafeWork)
  • East Arnhem Regional Council (EARC) ID Card
  • Larrakia National Identity Card
  • Tangentyere Council Identity Card
  • Prison Release Certificate (ID Photo)

Category C documents:

  • Australian Birth Certificate (not an extract)
  • Medicare Card
  • Student Identification Card with a Photo (issued by an Australian University, Australian TAFE or Secondary School)
  • Construction Induction Card
  • Australian Electoral Roll card
  • Identity Certificate issued by Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade
  • Foreign Birth Certificate1
  • Foreign Driver’s License
  • Government Benefit – Centrelink Card
  • Government Benefit – Department of Veteran Affairs Card
  • Certified Australian university academic transcript
  • Security Guard (Crowd Control) photo licence
  • Debit / Credit or savings card
  • Australian National Tenancy / rental agreement
  • Tax Assessment Statement notice

Category D documents:

Choose one option if your current address is not shown on any of your identity documents:

  • Utility notice (not older than 3 months)
  • Council rates notice (not older than 12 months)
  • Letter from an Australian Government university institution
  • Telecommunications bill (not older than 12 months)
  • Rental agreement (less than 12 months old)
  • Bank statement or proof of balance (less than 6 months old)
  • Electoral Enrolment Card

Category E documents:

Choose one option if your application name differs from the name on your identity documents:

  • Change of name certificate
  • Marriage certificate (Australian)

Duration: 5 years
Cost: Adult $39.95, Concession $29.95 (eligible government concession cards must be cited), NT Resident $25.00

Australian Capital Territory

ID: Proof of Identity Card

To obtain a Proof of Identity card the applicant must be 18 years of age or older on the day of application. The application must be made in person at any Access Canberra location  and provide original copies of both proof of identity and age. See Access Canberra locations here.

Phone: 13 22 81

ID Requirements

Applicants must produce a minimum of three original documents that satisfy the following:

  • At least one primary proof of identity document
  • At least one proof of identity document must display the applicant’s name in full and not as an initial. Where an interstate photographic driver licence displays an initial as the middle name the applicant must provide a second proof of identity document that displays their name in full
  • At least one proof of identity document must show the applicant’s signature
  • At least one proof of identity document must show the applicant’s date of birth
  • Proof of identity document must be current, not expired, unless otherwise stated
  • Photocopies are not acceptable unless otherwise stated
  • Certified copies of documents are not acceptable for the first issue of an ACT driver licence or proof of age card, or establishment of vehicle registration.

Primary proof of identity:

  • A photographic driver’s licence issued in Australia (current or expired up to two years)
  • An Australian birth certificate (not a Commonwealth certificate and not an extract). If the certificate is not in the same name currently used, appropriate linking documentation such as a marriage certificate is required
  • Australia passport (current or expired up to two years)
  • Overseas passport (current or expired up to two years)
  • Australian citizenship certificate or naturalisation certificate
  • Department of Home Affairs Travel document valid up to five years after date of issue.
  • Department of Home Affairs Evidence of Immigration Status (EIS) ImmiCard valid to date of expiry.
  • Department of Home Affairs Permanent Resident Evidence (PRE) ImmiCard valid to date of expiry.
  • Department of Home Affairs Australian Migration Status (AMS) ImmiCard valid to date of expiry.
  • Police Officer photographic identity card (from the ACT only)
  • Australian proof of age card / proof of identity card / NSW photo card (with appropriate security features, showing date of issue by an Authority and is current or expired up to 2 years)

Secondary proof of identity:

  • Current Medicare Card.
  • Current Credit Card or Account Card with signature and embossed name from a Bank, Building Society or Credit Union.
  • Current Student Identity Document with photograph and signature issued by an Educational Institution.
  • Current Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs Concession Card.
  • KeyPass Identity Card issued by Australia Post current or expired up to two years.
  • Security Guard / Crowd Controller Identity Card with photograph issued by an Australian State or Territory current or expired up to two years.
  • Firearm Licence with photograph issued by an Australian State or Territory current or expired up to two years.
  • Current Consular Identity Card with photograph issued by Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
  • Current State, Territory or Federal Government Employee Identity Card with photograph.
  • Current Australian Defence Force Identity Card with photograph.
  • Current ACT Government Services Access Card.
  • Working with Vulnerable People Registration Card current or expired up to two years.
  • ACT High Risk Work Licence current or expired up to two years.
  • Proof of Residency (excluding Proof of Identity Cards issued after 19 September 2018)

Duration: No expiry.

New South Wales

ID: The NSW Photo Card

A NSW Photo Card can be used as photo identification if you don’t have a NSW Driver Licence. It has the same application process and security features as the driver licence, and should be accepted as identification everywhere a driver licence is recognised.  While there is usually an administration fee associated with this card, cards are issued to eligible pensioners free of charge. To find out more about the NSW Photo Card or to obtain an application, visit your nearest Service NSW centre.

To apply for a NSW Photo Card, you must:


ID Requirements

Visit RMS at

Duration: 5 or 10 years

Northern Territory

ID: NT Evidence of Age Card

This card is evidence of your age and is available to any Northern Territory resident aged 18 and over. If you change your name or want a new photo you will need to apply for a new card. When changing your name or photo, you must surrender your old card to the motor vehicle registry (MVR) or a police station, and you must provide evidence of name change documents. If you are a concession card holder, you are eligible for a free evidence of age card every five years.

Duration: 5 years

Application for evidence of age card (191.6 kb)


ID: The Photo Identification Card

Provides proof of age for Queenslanders aged 15 years or older. This is an ideal form of photo identification for people who are not old enough to get a driver’s licence or who don’t hold a driver’s licence or passport.

To apply for the card you must:

  • Be at least 15 years of age
  • Complete the photo identification card application (F4772)
  • Get two identical colour photos (details on their website)
  • Get the application and your photos signed by one of the approved witnesses (list on their website)
  • Provide evidence of identity
  • Pay the fee

You will need to present 3 original evidence of identity documents (lists of documents in each category on their website):

  • 1 Category A document + 2 Category B documents, or
  • 2 Category A documents + 1 Category B document

Duration: 10 years
Cost: $70.55

South Australia

ID: Proof of Age Card

The Proof of Age card is often used by people with vision impairments as an alternative form of identification to a driver’s license. This can also be used for legal and financial documents. It is used to verify that the person seeking to enter a licensed premises or purchase liquor is over 18 years of age. This card is recognised throughout Australia. To apply for the Proof of Age card:

Phone: 13 10 84

You will need to provide at least three documents that verify your identity, age, signature and residential address. If you have a photographic learner’s permit or licence you may not need to supply full evidence of identity. A payment is required with the application.

Duration: Does not expire
Cost: $22


ID: Tasmanian Government Personal Information Card

This card is a form of identification that can be used by people of all ages to provide evidence of their identity and age. To apply for a Personal Information Card:

  • Complete the Tasmanian Government Personal Information Card application form
  • Present your application form together with your original evidence of identity documents in person at a Service Tasmania Shop
  • Complete and sign the declaration on page 2 of the application form, in the presence of a Service Tasmania Customer Service Officer (or parent / guardian to sign if the applicant is under 18 years of age)
  • Have your photo taken and pay the application fee

The Personal Information Card application form provides additional information, including the acceptable types identification required to submit your application. Once your application and payment have been lodged at a Service Tasmania shop, you can expect to receive your Personal Information Card within ten business days.

Access the Tasmanian Government Personal Information Card application form

Duration: 5 years
Cost: $28


ID: Proof of Age Card

The Victorian Proof of Age card is used to verify that the person seeking to enter the licensed premises or purchase liquor is over 18 years of age. This card is recognised throughout Australia. Any person who has reached the age of 17 years and 11 months can apply, however you must wait until you are 18 to use it.

The form can be collected from any VicRoads office or by contacting Victoria Liquor and Gaming on 1300 182 457 and request an application form be mailed to you. Take the completed form and your original proof of identity documents (one from Category A and one from Category B) to someone who has known you for a minimum of 12 months and who is listed on the electoral roll. This person must complete and sign the ‘Referee’s declaration’.

Please note that original documents are required for sighting, photocopies are unacceptable. If you have changed your name (either through marriage or otherwise) you must also provide documents as evidence of this change.

Category A documents:

  • Full Australian birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Naturalisation certificate
  • Immigration papers
  • Citizen papers

Category B documents:

  • Driver’s licence or learner permit
  • Security card
  • Credit card or bank passbook
  • Medicare card
  • Shooters licence
  • Student identification card

Duration: Does not expire
Cost: $10

Western Australia

ID: WA Photo Card

A photo card provides anyone aged 16 years or over with a recognised form of personal identity, primarily for use in accessing licensed premises in Western Australia. Find out how to obtain a photo card, or order a replacement. The photo card is a voluntary card to assist people who do not hold a driver’s licence or passport in conveniently proving their identity. It is available to people 16 years and older who normally reside in WA. Cardholders have the option of including their address on the card and can choose to have two cards, one showing their address and one without it.

Photo cards have the same level of security as a driver’s licence and display the following information:

  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Signature
  • Address (optional)

A combination of 5 original identity documents must be presented to verify your full name, date of birth and residential address. Further information can be obtained at:

Duration: 5 years
Cost: Pensioner $21.60

Acceptable forms of ID in Australia

Primary Identification Documents

The highest category of identity documents that often act as primary validation of identity include:

  • Australian passport
  • Australian citizenship certificate
  • Overseas passport
  • Australian birth certificate
  • Australia driver’s licence
  • Overseas driver’s licence
  • Australian Document of Identity
  • Australian Certificate of Identity
  • Australian Convention Travel Document
  • Medicare card
  • Australian state and territory issued identity photo cards
  • Australia Post Key Pass identity card

Secondary Identification Documents

Other documents generally used to enhance an identity check along with primary documents, or used for specific purposes include:

  • Concession card
  • Australian Seniors Card
  • Australian Marriage Certificate (for change of name)
  • Australian Change of Name Certificate (for change of name)
  • Utility bill – a telephone, water, electricity or gas bill
  • Rates notice – a notice of rates issued by an Australian municipal council
  • An Australian education institution identification card
  • A letter of enrolment from an Australian school or education institution
  • An Australian bank issued plastic debit or credit card
  • An Australian bank statement
  • Motor vehicle registration papers issued in Australia