This is where we post current vacancies within Blind Citizens Australia, as well as volunteer opportunities.
Project Officer – Member Consultation
- Part-time role, 22.5 hours per week
- Remote working arrangements
- 12 month contract, with possibility of extension
Reporting to: Policy and Advocacy Team Leader
Blind Citizens Australia, (BCA) is the national representative organisation of people who are blind or vision impaired. Our mission is to inform, connect and empower Australians who are blind or vision impaired and the broader community.
We are a small but geographically diverse team working closely to achieve our mission. We thrive on communication, innovation, collaboration and making a difference in the lives of our members.
We are a workforce made of 75% of people with disability, you will need to be comfortable working with, for and in partnership with all staff and stakeholders who are blind or vision impaired.
We enjoy supporting each other, making things happen and offer a diverse working experience.
- You have strong communication skills and are able to write and edit with confidence. You have a creative approach to consultation with a diverse group of people, with the outcome of informing BCA’s work.
- You are aware of the issues that affect people who are blind or vision impaired and are sensitive in the way people’s experiences are captured and shared, to promote societal change.
- You are organised, and enjoy a varied work day.
Role / Responsibilities:
- Work with the policy and advocacy team to ensure people who are blind or vision impaired can contribute to position statements and submissions on a variety of topics that affect people who are blind or vision impaired
- Work with people who are blind or vision impaired to obtain feedback and insights on a variety of topics. This may take place through virtual consultations and focus groups, individual discussions, surveys or other suitable and accessible means.
- Compile feedback and case studies that can be utilised to assist with the creation of policies, position statements and submissions.
- Coordinate and lead user testing and trials
- Assist with the upkeep of the BCA website by reviewing pages relevant to this role and providing recommended updates
- Develop strong relationships with sector partners and organisations to aid in collaborative work.
Key Selection Criteria
- Well-developed communication skills both written and verbal
- Experience in facilitating small group discussions both virtually and in person
- Confidence in your ability to handle sensitive topics and information with care and respect
- Strong knowledge of current affairs that affect people who are blind or vision impaired
- The ability to work collaboratively with staff in a remote environment
- Establish relationships, collaborate, and engage with relevant teams and stakeholders
- This is a 12-month position with possibility of extension.
- The position has a national focus. The successful applicant will have flexible remote working arrangements from home.
- 22.5 hours per week (some weekend and evening work may be required).
- Salary is at level 5.1 under the SCHADS Award.
- People with disability encouraged to apply
- It is a requirement that all BCA staff hold a current police check.
For your application to be considered, please send your resume and your responses to the selection criteria in word format to Jane Britt. firstname.lastname@example.org using ‘Project Officer – Member Consultation’ in the subject line.
Applications must be received by 5pm Monday 2nd May 2022.
Volunteer Opportunities at BCA
There are currently no specific volunteer roles available. However, we often require ad hoc administration or event support, so if you are interested in volunteering with us please contact us to let us know, so we can get in touch with you if an opportunity arises.