11 July 2022
Blind Citizens Australia (BCA) is hosting a new Employment Symposium in Sydney for businesses, organisations, HR agencies, and government departments who are interested in making their workplace more accessible and inclusive.
This event aims to answer questions and bust some of the myths about hiring employees who are blind or vision impaired.
“In Australia, 83% of businesses lack confidence in hiring someone who is blind or vision impaired,” said Sally Aurisch, Chief Executive Officer – Blind Citizens Australia
“This often prevents them from hiring highly skilled and productive workers, and forms a barrier to employment for people who are blind or vision impaired” she said.
”Our goal for this event is to build up this confidence by providing businesses with the information and support they need. People who are blind or vision impaired have a right to equal access to employment – we believe that this can be achieved by breaking the stigma.”
This symposium will feature Keynote Speaker Graeme Innes AM as he explores and breaks down the misconceptions about employing someone who is blind or vision impaired.
By attending BCA’s Employment Symposium on Monday 15th August, employers can gain:
- An opportunity to develop organisational diversity and inclusion
- Hear from employers and managers on their experiences with hiring staff who are blind or vision impaired
- Learn what funding is available for employers when they employ staff with disability
- An opportunity to create new business and government contacts
- Hear from employees who are blind or vision impaired and what assistive technology they use in the workplace
This event is free and fully catered. Tickets are limited.
BCA’s Employment Symposium is being held as part of our “An Eye to the Future” project funded by the Department of Social Services’s Information, Linkages, and Capacity building program.
Employers can find more information about the Employment Symposium on BCA’s An Eye to the Future website.
For more information/interviews please contact:
Blind Citizens Australia
Phone: 0499 079337