2018 Annual General Meeting

Blind Citizens Australia will hold its 43rd Annual General Meeting in Melbourne, at the John Pierce Centre, 25-35 High Street, Prahran, on Saturday, 1 December 2018 at 11:00am. Those members unable to attend in person will be able to listen in to the proceedings via a live stream. The AGM will be followed by lunch and a discussion forum in the afternoon for those who can attend in person.

More details…

Accepted Forms of ID


Australia does not have an identity card. Instead, various documents may be used or required to prove a person’s identity.

There is no consistent standard for verifying identity. For most purposes, an Australian driver’s licence or Australian photo card will suffice; however, for more sophisticated transactions (e.g. applying for a passport or opening a bank account), each institution tends to have its own rules.

On this page:


Key Pass

The Australia Post Key Pass identity card is an identification card showing your photo, name, address, date of birth and signature. The card is accepted as proof of age for entry into venues throughout Australia which display a sign saying they accept the card as proof of identity. To apply for the card, visit your local Australia Post or download the application form online at:

Website: http://auspost.com.au/travel-id/keypass-identity-card.html

ID Requirements

For a new Key Pass, you will need to have the following combination of documents:

  • 1 X Category A and
  • 1 X Category B and
  • 1 X Category C or Category B

You must have 1 Photo ID (mandatory), and if your current resident address is not shown, choose 1 X Category D. If 1 or more identity documents do not match the application name, choose 1 X Category E

You will need to take the original identity documents to your Australia Post Office along with your application.


  • All documents must be current unless specified otherwise. If a document is not in English, please provide a translation, this must be completed by a NAATI accredited translator
  • In most cases, you cannot choose the same document for separate categories. Exceptions are:
    • Ability to choose Immicard in Category A and Immicard in Category B
    • Ability to choose Australian Visa/International Passport (Foreign) in Category A and International Passport (Foreign) in Category B.

Category A:

  • Australian Birth Certificate (not an extract)
  • Citizenship Certificate
  • International Passport (if not in English, with a translation by a NAATI accredited translator)
  • Australian Visa
  • Australian Passport (up to two years expired)
  • Immigration Card

Category B:

  • Firearms License
  • Australian Learners Permit
  • Australian Driver’s Licence
  • Australian Passport
  • Consular Photo Identity Card (issued by Department of Foreign Affairs)
  • Working with Children Check Card
  • International Passport (Foreign)
  • Police Force Officer Photo Identity Card
  • Australian Defence Force Photo Identity Card
  • Aviation Security Identification Card
  • Maritime Security Identification Card
  • Student Identification Card
  • Proof of Age Card (Government issued)
  • High Risk Work Licence (issued by Australian State/Territory WorkSafe or SafeWork)

Category C:

  • Australian Birth Certificate (not an extract)
  • Medicare Card
  • Student Identification Card with a Photo (issued by an Australian University, Australian TAFE or Secondary School)
  • Australian Electoral Role Card
  • Identity Document Issued by Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade
  • Identity Certificate Issued by Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade
  • United Nations Travel Document Issued by Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade
  • Foreign Birth Certificate
  • Foreign Driver’s License
  • Government Benefit – Department of Veteran Affairs Card
  • Certified Australian University Academic Transcript
  • Debit / Credit or Savings Card
  • Tax Assessment Statement Notice

All documents must be originals.

Category D:

  • Choose one option if your current address is not shown on any of your identity documents:
    • Utility Notice (no older than 3 months)
    • Telecommunications Bill (no older than 12 months)
    • Bank Statement (no older than 6 months)
    • Australian Learner’s Permit

Category E:

  • Choose one option if your application name differs from the name on your identity documents:
    • Marriage Certificate (Australian and Change of Name Certificate

Duration: 5 years
Cost: Adult $39.95, Concession $29.95 (eligible government concession cards must be cited), NT Resident $25.00

Australian Capital Territory

ID: Proof of Age Card

To obtain a Proof of Age card the applicant must be 18 years of age or older on the day of application. The application must be made in person at any Canberra Connect Shopfront or the Civic Driver Licence Service and provide original copies of both proof of identity and residency and proof of age.

Phone: 13 22 81
Email: rus@act.gov.au
Website: http://www.rego.act.gov.au/aboutus/infoproofofage.htm

ID Requirements

Primary proof of identity:

  • A photographic driver’s licence issued in Australia (current or expired up to two years)
  • An Australian birth certificate (not a Commonwealth certificate and not an extract). If the certificate is not in the same name currently used, appropriate linking documentation such as a marriage certificate is required
  • Australia passport (current or expired up to two years)
  • Overseas passport (current or expired up to two years)
  • Australian citizenship certificate or naturalisation certificate
  • Department of Immigration and Border Protection travel document (valid up to five years after issue)
  • Department of Immigration and Border Protection evidence of immigration status (EIS)
  • ImmiCard (valid to date of expiry)
  • Department of Immigration and Border Protection permanent resident evidence (PRE)
  • Department of Immigration and Border Protection Australian migration status (AMS)
  • Police Officer photographic identity card (from the ACT only)
  • Australian proof of age card or proof of identity card including NSW photo card (with appropriate security features, showing date of issue by an Authority and is current or expired up to 2 years)

Secondary proof of identity:

  • Current Medicare card
  • Current credit card or account card (with signature and embossed name from a bank, building society or credit union)
  • Current student identity document (with photo and/or signature issued by and educational institution)
  • Current Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs concession card
  • Australian issued security guard or crowd controller licence (with photo)
  • Australian issued firearm licence (with photo)
  • Current consular photograph identity card issued by Department of Foreign Affairs and trade
  • Current State, Territory or Commonwealth Government employee photo identity card
  • Australian Defence Force photo identity card (excluding civilians)
  • ACT Services Access card issued by the ACT Government (for asylum seekers)
  • Current working with vulnerable people card

Duration: Does not expire.


New South Wales

ID: The NSW Photo ID Card

Issued by Service NSW is a voluntary card for people who do not hold a current NSW driver’s licence. It may be used to help access a number of everyday services such as sending or receiving international mail, opening bank accounts and entering licensed premises. While there is usually an administration fee associated with this card, cards are issued to eligible pensioners free of charge. To find out more about the NSW Photo Card or to obtain an application, visit your nearest Service NSW centre.

Website: http://www.service.nsw.gov.au

ID Requirements

Visit RMS at http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/licence/poi.html

Duration: 5 or 10 years


Northern Territory

ID: NT Evidence of Age Card

This card is evidence of your age and is available to any Northern Territory resident aged 18 and over. If you change your name or want a new photo you will need to apply for a new card. When changing your name or photo, you must surrender your old card to the motor vehicle registry (MVR) or a police station, and you must provide evidence of name change documents. If you are a concession card holder, you are eligible for a free evidence of age card every five years.

Duration: 5 years

Application for evidence of age card (191.6 kb)



ID: The Adult Proof of Age Card

Provides proof of age for Queenslanders aged 18 years or older. This is an ideal form of photo identification for people who don’t hold a driver’s licence or passport.

To apply for the card you must:

  • Be at least 17 years and 11 months of age
  • Complete the adult proof of age card application (F4772)
  • Provide evidence of identity

You will need to present 3 original evidence of identity documents:

  • 1 Category A document + 2 Category B documents, or
  • 2 Category A documents + 1 Category B document

Duration: 10 years
Cost: $66.65


South Australia

ID: Proof of Age Card

The Proof of Age card is often used by people with vision impairments as an alternative form of identification to a driver’s license. This can also be used for legal and financial documents. It is used to verify that the person seeking to enter a licensed premises or purchase liquor is over 18 years of age. This card is recognised throughout Australia. To apply for the Proof of Age card:

Phone: 13 10 84
Website: http://www.sa.gov.au/

You will need to provide at least three documents that verify your identity, age, signature and residential address. If you have a photographic learner’s permit or licence you may not need to supply full evidence of identity. A payment is required with the application.

Duration: Does not expire
Cost: $22



ID: Tasmanian Government Personal Information Card

This card is a form of identification that can be used by people of all ages to provide evidence of their identity and age. To apply for a Personal Information Card:

  • Complete the Tasmanian Government Personal Information Card application form
  • Present your application form together with your original evidence of identity documents in person at a Service Tasmania Shop
  • Complete and sign the declaration on page 2 of the application form, in the presence of a Service Tasmania Customer Service Officer (or parent / guardian to sign if the applicant is under 18 years of age)
  • Have your photo taken and pay the application fee

The Personal Information Card application form provides additional information, including the acceptable types identification required to submit your application. Once your application and payment have been lodged at a Service Tasmania shop, you can expect to receive your Personal Information Card within ten business days.

Access the Tasmanian Government Personal Information Card application form

Duration: 5 years
Cost: $28



ID: Proof of Age Card

The Victorian Proof of Age card is used to verify that the person seeking to enter the licensed premises or purchase liquor is over 18 years of age. This card is recognised throughout Australia. Any person who has reached the age of 17 years and 11 months can apply, however you must wait until you are 18 to use it.

The form can be collected from any VicRoads office or by contacting Victoria Liquor and Gaming on 1300 182 457 and request an application form be mailed to you. Take the completed form and your original proof of identity documents (one from Category A and one from Category B) to someone who has known you for a minimum of 12 months and who is listed on the electoral roll. This person must complete and sign the ‘Referee’s declaration’.

Please note that original documents are required for sighting, photocopies are unacceptable. If you have changed your name (either through marriage or otherwise) you must also provide documents as evidence of this change.

Category A documents:

  • Full Australian birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Naturalisation certificate
  • Immigration papers
  • Citizen papers

Category B documents:

  • Driver’s licence or learner permit
  • Security card
  • Credit card or bank passbook
  • Medicare card
  • Shooters licence
  • Student identification card

Duration: Does not expire
Cost: $10


Western Australia

ID: WA Photo Card

A photo card provides anyone aged 16 years or over with a recognised form of personal identity, primarily for use in accessing licensed premises in Western Australia. Find out how to obtain a photo card, or order a replacement. The photo card is a voluntary card to assist people who do not hold a driver’s licence or passport in conveniently proving their identity. It is available to people 16 years and older who normally reside in WA. Cardholders have the option of including their address on the card and can choose to have two cards, one showing their address and one without it.

Photo cards have the same level of security as a driver’s licence and display the following information:

  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Signature
  • Address (optional)

A combination of 5 original identity documents must be presented to verify your full name, date of birth and residential address. Further information can be obtained at:


Duration: 5 years
Cost: Pensioner $21.60


Acceptable forms of ID in Australia

Primary Identification Documents

The highest category of identity documents that often act as primary validation of identity include:

  • Australian passport
  • Australian citizenship certificate
  • Overseas passport
  • Australian birth certificate
  • Australia driver’s licence
  • Overseas driver’s licence
  • Australian Document of Identity
  • Australian Certificate of Identity
  • Australian Convention Travel Document
  • Medicare card
  • Australian state and territory issued identity photo cards
  • Australia Post Key Pass identity card

Secondary Identification Documents

Other documents generally used to enhance an identity check along with primary documents, or used for specific purposes include:

  • Concession card
  • Australian Seniors Card
  • Australian Marriage Certificate (for change of name)
  • Australian Change of Name Certificate (for change of name)
  • Utility bill – a telephone, water, electricity or gas bill
  • Rates notice – a notice of rates issued by an Australian municipal council
  • An Australian education institution identification card
  • A letter of enrolment from an Australian school or education institution
  • An Australian bank issued plastic debit or credit card
  • An Australian bank statement
  • Motor vehicle registration papers issued in Australia


Latest edition of BC News now available

The July edition of Blind Citizens News is out now – view it online today.

In this edition we cover:

  • Inaccessible EFTPOS machines
  • Immigration advocacy
  • The World Blind Union Regional Assembly
  • Mental health and blindness
  • Domestic violence
  • The NDIS and My Aged Care
  • Travel tips
  • …and much more!

Call to action: Lets shake things up with the Royal Commission


Inaccessible EFTPOS machines and ATMs continue to be rolled out across Australia, compromising the dignity, independence and privacy of many people who are blind or vision impaired. You may be aware that a Royal Commission is currently underway to inquire into instances of misconduct in the banking, superannuation and financial services industry. This provides us with a unique opportunity to draw attention to this very important issue.

We are asking people to consider lodging a short submission with the Royal Commission every time they encounter an inaccessible EFTPOS machine or ATM that impacts on their ability to access financial services. The squeakiest wheel gets the most attention and by following this call to action, you will be helping to demonstrate how many people are being negatively impacted by the roll out of inaccessible touchscreen devices.

The terms of reference for the Royal Commission state:

“All Australians have the right to be treated honestly and fairly in their dealings with banking, superannuation and financial service providers. The highest standards of conduct are critical to the good governance and corporate culture of those providers.

And these standards should continue to be complemented by strong regulatory and supervisory frameworks that ensure that all Australian consumers, including business, have confidence and trust in the financial system.”

Clauses B and F of the terms of reference hold the most relevance to the issues that are faced by people who are blind or vision impaired. These clauses require the Commission to investigate:

“B) whether any conduct, practices, behaviour or business activities by financial services entities fall below community standards and expectations.

F) the adequacy of forms of industry self-regulation, including industry codes of conduct; to identify, regulate and address misconduct in the relevant industry, to meet community standards and expectations and to provide appropriate redress to consumers”

The Commission’s preference for receiving submissions is via an online submissions form, but there are also other options available. The online form will ask you to:

  • Describe the misconduct of the relevant financial services entity
  • When this conduct occurred
  • Your views on what contributed to this misconduct, and
  • Any steps you have taken to complain about the conduct and the outcome of your complaint.

The form also enables you to provide the Royal Commission with other comments, including your views on what changes you would like them to recommend.

You can complete the online submission form here.

If you need assistance to complete the form or require the form in another format, you can contact the Commission by phone on 1800 909 826, or by email at FSRCenquiries@royalcommission.gov.au

Thanks for reading, and please consider taking up this call to action to support the work we are doing at a national level. If we don’t speak out about this issue, no one else will.



Blind Citizens Australia’s summary of the 2018-19 federal budget

The 2018-19 federal budget was released on Tuesday 8th May 2018. Blind Citizens Australia has long advocated for budget measures that support people who are blind or vision impaired and as such, the following areas may be of relevance: Read more.