Access to Information Technology and Telecommunications
- BCA Information Access Advocacy Guidelines – 8 steps to Web Accessibility (Word doc)
- Round Table for Information Access – Resources
Australian banknotes can be identified by sight and by touch. Download this document to learn more. This document also contains information about BCA’s Cash Test Card, which you can obtain by contacting us.
- BCA Employment Policy (Word doc)
- Hello Recruiters (Word doc)
- Hello Employers (Word doc)
- Hello Disability Employment Service (DES) providers (Word doc)
- Government as an Employer (Word doc)
- How the Australian Government can meet their national and international obligations (Word doc)
We have also created a series of fact sheets which challenge assumptions about what people who are blind or vision impaired can do, bust myths, provide guidance on legal blindness, and advise people who are blind or vision impaired on where to find and access information.
- Have you checked your assumptions? (Word doc)
- Busting those myths (Word doc)
- What does the term legal blindness mean? (Word doc)
- Reading information as a person who is blind? (Word doc)
- What Australian and international law say about disability – the law and guidelines (Word doc)
- And now to some useful links (Word doc)
Take a peek at a list of jobs that people who are blind or vision impaired have undertaken.
BCA’s National Policy Council (NPC), after consultation with members, created a Healthcare Policy. This details the rights to which all users of healthcare settings are entitled under the Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights and how these rights can be given meaning when applied to people who are blind or vision impaired. This policy is linked below. The NPC is also creating a series of checklists, to give the policy relevance to specific contexts. The checklist for use with hospitals is linked below.
In The Home
Open letter to DVD retailers and suppliers about Audio Description on DVD
Blind Citizens Australia has created an open letter to raise awareness to the general community and DVD suppliers and stores regarding the benefits of Audio Description on DVD. This is available for anyone to download (Word doc) and use.
Transport, Travel and Built Environment
- Pedestrian Safety Policy (Word doc)
- Aviation Policy (Word doc)
- Bus Services Policy (Word doc)
- Taxi Services Policy (Word doc)
- Train Services (Word doc)
- Tram and Light Rail Policy (Word doc)
- Ferry and Hydrofoil Services Policy (Word doc)
- White Cane Policy (Word doc)
- Audible Traffic Signals Policy (Word doc)
- Safer Streets – A guide to public access advocacy for people who are blind or vision impaired (Word doc)
- BCA Environmental Scan on E-scooters (Word doc)
Voting and Elections
For many years now BCA has been advocating for accessible voting for Australians who are blind or vision impaired.